We’ve asked each of our first five rights holders to help us write a blog post introducing themselves to you — giving you a behind-the-scenes glimpse into themselves and their work. Here’s five things you might not know about Mike Laser.
1) He writes his novels longhand. In this chair.
2) He cares about social justice. He spent three years working for The Fortune Society, helping ex-prisoners to find work and re-integrate into society. And he spent a month in Nicaragua, helping to build a school. Both of these experiences have influenced novels he’s written, too.
3) He wants you to understand what’s going on in the world today — especially if you’re a teacher or a student. He runs a web site, News-Basics.com, with concise, balanced overviews of important issues in the news today. (He’s also written for the Christian Science Monitor on the difficulty — and importance — of respecting both sides of the story.)
4) He taught himself to hit a baseball again this year, having not played since childhood. It’s harder than you’d think!
5) He did lots of research before writing an autobiographical novel — the middle-grade novel 6-321. Learn more at its campaign on Unglue.it.